We encourage you to support your child daily with their reading and their phonics. Please do make a comment in your child’s reading record as this is very valuable to us. Here are some examples of the sorts of comments you may make:
- Wonderful! John made extremely good attempts at sounding out unfamiliar words.
- Anne really enjoyed this book set by the sea. It reminded her of the Lighthouse Keeper books which we have read at home.
- Particularly enjoyed reading this book and looking at the illustrations.
- John has read more books by the same author at home.
- Very little help needed today. Remembered many of the letter sounds and read lots of words independently.
- It was such a pleasure to listen to Jane read. She was able to identify and read the words independently.
- He spotted a full stop!
- Fluent and confident, showing enthusiasm and enjoyment.
- Confused "b" and "d" sounds at the beginning of the word "dig" but self-corrected when read within the context of the sentence.
You will notice that your child has a sheet of questions (age-appropriate) on labels in the back of their reading record. In addition to the comments made above in regards to decoding and fluency, we want to develop comprehension. Therefore, we encourage you/your child to regularly (once/twice a week) choose a question, stick it in the next available space in the reading record, discuss it and for you/your child to write an answer.
Your child has access to the Phonics Play website as well as Bug Club EBooks. The login details for both websites can be found in your child’s reading record / homework book. They will also be assessed on the Year 1 Common Exception words and these are in their homework books too.
All children now have access to MyMaths so they have the opportunity to complete maths activities which are set each half-term. Login details can be found in your child’s reading record. We will be no longer sending home Maths packs in Year 1 and 2 as they have access to MyMaths. However, if you are unable to access this website at home, Maths packs are available for you to take home. Please ask a member of staff in your child’s class if you require them.
Your child has the opportunity to complete activities linked to their current project, if they wish. Below is a menu for them to choose from. They may choose as few or as many as they want to complete. If they do complete any of the project activities this half term, please can your child bring them in on the date listed on the homework menu. There will also be a project showcase (date listed on homework menu) when you will be invited in to celebrate their work.